Sunday, February 03, 2008

2008-02-01

When we arose this morning, the news was even worse than the night before. Roads were closed at some point in every path home. We tried to accept the inevitable with grace, and stayed in Davenport an extra day.

After Morning Offering I worked on my Laughlin speech for several hours, deleting most of what I wrote. I just did not have the flow going. So I gave that up in mid afternoon and Mick and I watched No Country for Old Men, choosing it from the in-room pay-per-view menu.

What a violent, silly movie! Undoubtedly it is an accurate depiction of the heart of our times, here in the final days of the Bush presidency and all the awful violence of it, all the torture, war and killings and all the lies which do violence to decency. Perhaps, as Tommy Lee Jones’s character did at the end of the film, we can just wake up from this bad dream! That was the only message I saw there.

I offered the closing prayer at the Gaia Meditation tonight.