Tuesday, September 09, 2008

2008-09-08

Our yo-yo weather was on the upswing today, with temperatures close to 90 F again and the air heavy and humid. After Morning Offering Mick set out for his full day of gardening and mowing. He is mowing less and gardening more these days, as summer wanes and the grass slows its growth. Fortunately his customers use Mick for all sorts of yard and house work, so he stays busy in any weather these days.

I worked on preparing the next issue of Light/Lines this morning. Mick had chosen a session for this issue concerning the chances a busy person has of becoming spiritually mature. I like the choice a lot. it bears good news for the seker! It is certainly relevant these days, with all of us tending towards busy-ness in this ramped-up, intensely technological culture.

In the afternoon I developed and wrote a UPI article on Pat Smith, whose 2-year fund-raiser Mick and I attended last month. Pat was a Habitat for Humanity volunteer whose life ended in a tragic plane crash on August 26, 2006. It was a real pleasure to share a few details of his beautiful life and blessed work for my “Difference Maker” series, of which he is now the seventh subject. I hope to post to this blog each Monday during this next year. It feels like a good start to the work week.

Gary served at Cracker Barrel today and had a great surprise. A customer asked him to get the manager, which he did. When the manager came to the table, the customer said, “I have been coming to Cracker Barrel for many years, and this is the best server I have ever had!” That had to feel good! You go, Gary!

Mick and I rendezvoused for a whirlpool and then a lovely date, sharing a seemingly endless amount of energy and nestling together afterwards in quiet conversation before joining Gary for a late supper and the Gaia Meditation, at which I offered the closing prayer.