Thursday, September 04, 2008

2008-09-03

The current heat wave peaked today as, after Morning Offering, Mick set out to mow and Gary took Aaron to the airport. I had overslept badly and so worked on my journals while Mel did town chores. Then we went out for errands: a new baby blanket for Wills Rueckert, getting my labs for the month done at LabCorp – and Vickie got me on the first stick, bless her – and an attempt to buy two coffeepots for L/L Research. The latter attempt was a failure, as we liked a model of which there was only one on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

After half an hour of dealing with store officials, we discovered that they absolutely refused to order us another one. They said that they were not able to do this and asked us to go home and make our order from Wal-Mart-on-line. Then, on line, the model was shown as missing from their inventory. The store on line offers only the model we do not like as well since it is not user-friendly at all. This means that volunteers are less likely to be able to help us set up for breakfasts.

I was shocked. When did stores stop being sensitive to customer preferences? When did managers become so completely incompetent? Sheeple, arise! Cast down thine persecutors! Defend thy right to thy choice of percolators!

This was the height of my accomplishments today, as after Mel left and I toddled up to the office, I promptly fell asleep in my chair and awoke only ten minutes or so before Mick came in to suggest an early bath, around 4:30 p.m. So yet another day has slipped away while I recover my ability to stay awake and get to work! I shall have to have another go at working on my first UPI article since last October tomorrow.

Noteworthy was a stray rain shower which cleaned the air and gave us a good half-hour of blessed rainfall while we enjoyed the evening! What a joy to hear the sound of the raindrops on the roof! Mick said, "At least it will settle the dust tomorrow."

I offered the closing prayer at the Gaia Meditation tonight.