Monday, August 25, 2008

2008-08-24

Our Sabbath went at a peaceful pace on this very hot and sultry day. I used the fan I’d received at church liberally! The fan advertises Menopause, the Musical, which a local theater group is staging. What a clever way to publicize that particular play!

It was back to school day at church, with the blessing of the backpacks, prayers for the teachers and students and three pieces sung by the Angel Choir, St. Luke’s version of what in my youth was called Junior Choir. An inspiring speaker, Becky K, who now heads the Sunday School, offered the sermon, urging all of those in the congregation of all ages to come back to school on Sunday mornings and explore the infinite possibilities of learning and seeking ever further. I enjoyed the energy of the service very much.

Mick picked me up after the service and brought me back to a sweet, clean dwelling. Over lunch we enjoyed a wonderful delightful, gotta-see film, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Frances McDormand, whom I so thoroughly enjoyed in Fargo, plays the title role with a slightly out-of-focus charm that is enormously captivating. Amy Adams ably plays her foil, a daffy singer fair of face and uncertain of morals. The plot is slight but the script is smart and stylish, the costumes are gorgeous and the production values soar. And it is funny! Mick and I laughed and laughed again, surprised often by the lovely wit of the piece.

I especially appreciated the music, which consisted of one lush production after another of the fine old songs like “Ain’t Misbehavin’” and “If I Didn’t Care” that bring one back to a much finer day for popular music.

Over popcorn we went on to Street Kings, with Forest Whitaker as the beautifully played villain and Keanu Reeves as an equally formidably played anti-hero. It’s a police drama and the intricate plot unfolds to show massive corruption in the LAPD. A similar plot unfolded in real life in Los Angeles some years ago, and the story rang all too true. Hugh Laurie offers a finely tuned supporting performance. His character rings down a surprise ending that is quite satisfying. This is not an easy film to watch because of the casual and unremitting violence, but I’d recommend it to anyone who likes action and a good mystery.

I received a request from Gary and Steve E, the B4 web guy, for some text for the B4 site, a Welcome Message for the Home Page and a biography of L/L Research. I’d suggested to Gary that he use my Laughlin speech from last February for the bio, and he edited it down well. However, it needed many more words from me concerning the period from 1980 to 84, and a bit of fill-in for the present-day period. I sent the Welcome Message and the tweaked L/L bio to his Inbox before supper.

I sent an e-mail to Steve M asking him to consider whether he still wishes to do a readthrough of 101. It is time to finalize this book and get it to the printer. He is coming to Homecoming, so we can discuss it then.

Tom C wrote to suggest that we plant our loofah gourd with an air plant. They need no water. The species of bromeliad named ‘tallendsia’ seems ideally suited to our needs, according to a couple of web sites’ information which he forwarded to Lorena and me. I wrote to thank him. It is his home-grown gourd which Melissa and I are trying to make into a planter

We have had the bad news that Bob R’s back pain may be even more serious than was previously thought. He will have a biopsy soon. Unfortunately, this may conflict with his coming to Homecoming, which is too bad! It is our loss, if indeed it happens that way. Bob’s sweet smile enhances any gathering.

Morris H, L/L Research’s vice president, wrote inquiring about printing costs for 101 and offering to chip in for that purpose. We thank you, dear Morris! I asked Gary to investigate the costs of printing this book after Homecoming.

Lana L-B, a fan of the LOO since the eighties and a dear pen-pal friend, has just moved into her new home, and she sent me a gazillion photos of it. What a great home! She has made everything sing with beauty and order.

And my brother, Jim Rueckert, wrote to correct his announcement of his son, William’s birth. The weight was not 8 pounds, 6 ounces; it was 6 pounds, 8 ounces. I wrote to tell him that the news made me feel better for Kai, his wife and Wills' Mom! Giving birth to a 6-pounder when you are a teensy woman is bad enough – 8 pounds is way too much!

Mick spent his break time very productively, planting flowers in the pots by the side-yard fishpond and elsewhere in the yard and continuing to weed and water in preparation for Homecoming. He, Gary and I gathered for supper and the final ceremonies of the Olympic Games, which were dazzling. Mick offered the closing prayer at the Gaia Meditation.