Friday, November 23, 2007

2007-11-22

Thanksgiving Day was blustering and cold, rains having come through with high winds during the night. I was wakeful and up by 3:00 AM, so I enjoyed editing the October 13th channeling, which was on the subject of finding some source of inspiration that made mundane work days into a more spiritual experience.

Editing this was in itself a spiritual experience. I was stopped by the need to locate and footnote a Biblical reference – “Lo, I am with you, even unto the end of the age.” – and I read through the red print in all four Gospels, trying to find this sentence. The last Gospel I consulted, being my least favorite, was Matthew. And the last verse in the last chapter of Matthew was the quotation for which I sought. It came to me that by this means I had spent most of the night hours steeped in Jesus’ words, and that this had transformed my sleepless weariness into vibrant, energetic joy. Spirit indeed works in mysterious ways!

After Morning Offering, while Mick went out to attend to two customers’ leaves, I welcomed Melissa, who had come down to Louisville to help me cook the rest of our feast. To Mick’s turkey and Gary’s peas and mashed potatoes she added spinach-artichoke dip, cranberry-orange relish and an enhanced version of Stovetop Stuffing, adding onions, celery, raisins and herbs. I concocted a tossed salad of five kinds of greens, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, onion, celery, currants, toasted pine nuts and apples, with herbs and lemon for flavor, and some canned biscuits.

Just as we finished our stint in the kitchen, our guests came: Carmen and the S’s, Eric S and his mother, Phyllis. Eric is Mick’s friend from homesteading days in Marion County, Kentucky, which dates back to the early ‘70s. Both he and his mom are fun to know, and of course Carmen is dear to us, having moved here from Texas to join our little band of seekers on meditation nights and to volunteer for L/L.

Mick came back at about 1:30 PM, and joined us at last. He was thoroughly wet but successful in catching up on his work. We had a lovely Thanksgiving! We eschewed football for conversation. The S’s brought wine, which we enjoyed with our delicious appetizer, and then we feasted on all of our bounty, plus cherry and pumpkin pie, courtesy of Mrs. Smith, who makes a creditable frozen pie. The company was good and the conversation excellent.

After the big meal, Mick did some chores and then watched college football in his room while we chatted further in the living room over our coffee and tea, until Eric and Phyllis had to leave, determined to arrive back home in Lebanon before dark. Then we girls watched two episodes of “4400”, a sci-fi series we had recommended to us by Ian, our web guy. I enjoyed it mightily. Melissa and Carmen left about 8:30.

I offered the prayer at the Gaia Meditation this evening.