Wednesday, December 10, 2008

2008-12-02

Our first full day in Nebraska dawned cold and moody, sunshine one moment and overcast the next. After Morning Offering, Mick set up the card table in the far corner of the living room and began the long job of putting together the Christmas cards – folding the cards, folding the Christmas letters, inserting the letters in the cards and the cards in the envelopes, sealing the envelopes and stamping them. He got most of the cards in the envelopes by the end of the day.

I occupied myself by dozing the morning away despite my efforts to stay alert and be useful. Eventually I got the Camelot Journal entry written, had my chapel time and wrote/channeled the Holly Journal for today. Then I tried to get on the internet. First the mouse would not work in the kitchen, and then – and this was the stopper – I could get a dial tone but did not have the right number for accessing my dial-up connection outside of Kentucky.

I put in a call to Romi in the evening. Hopefully he will call me tomorrow and talk me through the process of configuring the software to work here for dial-up.

Mom, as is her wont, enjoyed a day of television. She likes the soaps, the game shows and those talk shows where people talk over each others’ sentences and out-shout each other. Sigh!

We took Mom to the best steak house anywhere around, Grandpa’s Steak House in Kearney, Nebraska, for her birthday dinner. She and I both enjoyed the country-fried steak, while Mick opted for a pork chop that looked as though it came from a six-foot pig! The food was delicious and Mom opened her presents from us – a pair of earrings with a matching necklace and a lush red velour “sweat suit” in which one is clearly not expected to sweat.

After I put in my call to Romi, we settled into watching Thunderheart, a film starring Val Kilmer and Sam Shepard. It was a good FBI mystery, set on a Sioux reservation and featuring some authentic Native American faces and accents as well as a good plot and atmospheric cinematography and direction. Kilmer did a fine job of portraying a man torn between his Native American roots and his current urban lifestyle to the point where he tries to ignore a vision. An Indian friend says to him, “Some people go all their lives without a vision, and you had one!” How true it is that we must pay honor and attention to our visions!

Mick offered the prayer at the end of the Gaia Meditation tonight.