Thursday, September 18, 2008

2008-09-17

After Morning Offering Mick and Gary set out on another storm-debris-clearing marathon while I worked on my UPI article for the week in short bursts, my left side being too full of nerve pain to make a sustained effort. I was tickled pink to finish it and post it by the end of the day! I wrote about the experience of being without power.

Other than catch up on all the forwarded material sent by savvy political observers like Elihu E and Rho M, that was my allotment of work for the day.

Mick and the Bean Man came home triumphant at 4:00 p.m., just as I was reluctantly heading out to an appointment with my rheumatologist, Dr. J. Mick’s truck was acting up, and so I drove behind Mick to drop his truck off to be repaired, and then Mick drove me to the appointment, a signal blessing, as my left hand was not able to grasp the wheel and so I was driving one-handed.

Dr J feels that these symptoms are coming from my spine, and I agree with her. So I was scheduled with a CT scan of my head and shoulders, the “C-spine” area. This will take place early on September 24th, a week from today. She also ordered a bone density test for me and took X-rays of my hands before I left the office. Her tentative treatment plan is to inject epidural prednisone into the C-spine area rather than boost my oral intake of that drug. I can only hope that her diagnosis and solution work.

This was choir practice night, but St. Luke’s is powerless, just like the rest of Anchorage, and our choirmistress could not see us practicing by candle-light. So after a late dinner with Gary and the Gaia Meditation, at which Mick offered the closing prayer, I read him my article and then we both read, enjoying our one electrical light together, until bedtime.